- £605 per week
- £86 per night
- 4 Guests
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Pet
6 Coastguard Cottages sleeps 4 in 1 double and 1 twin. A strip of shingle beach, the coast in front, the entrance to the river Alde on the left. A cluster of cottages, a Napoleonic martello tower and a coastguard station. This is Shingle Street. No. 6 Coastguard Cottage enjoys stunning views eastwards across the sea and westwards across ancient grazing meadows towards Hollesley village. You'll have use of the Shingle Street tennis court! Although the location is stunning, the cottage furniture is basic yet comfortable, cosy and popular with guests who return time and again.
This property and location will not suit everyone. It is an isolated, even desolate part of the Suffolk Coast, the night sky crystal clear and the sunrise unforgettable.
ALDEBURGH 17.6 miles (28 km), ORFORD 11 miles (18.2 km), WOODBRIDGE 9 miles (14.5 km)
About the property: This property would suit guests who are looking for a 'no-frills' stay in an authentic coastal cottage and who will appreciate this extraordinary location. Furnished and decorated in an artisan's style, the kitchen has a few fitted units and feature woodburner, along with an intimate dining area. The bathroom includes a bath with overhead shower fitting.
This property is ideal for: There is plenty here for those who love life by the sea: the adventurous, the contemplative, the creative. Guests can enjoy fine walking along the Suffolk coast and across the heaths, byways for cycling and horse riding and sailing on the Deben estuary. This stretch of beach is rich in fossils but you may need to sieve the clay.
For those who enjoy nature, grey seals are easy to spot fishing in the river mouth - if you are quiet and lucky! A short walk along the river bank may bring you in close contact with these fascinating creatures. Keen ornithologist can visit the RSPB reserves at Orford Ness and Minsmere.
Rich in historical sites, from the ship burial at Sutton Hoo to the nearby Norman castle at Orford, the cottage is situated in the heart of an area with many places to visit. The beach from Kessingland to the north, south through Dunwich to Aldeburgh and down through Orford Island represent the best marks for Cod and Whiting fishing in the Winter and bass in the Autumn.
Whilst not suitable for novices, the sea and wind conditions provide ideal opportunities for accompanied and experienced kite surfers, but is not recommended for swimming as the currents are very strong.
Eating Out: The nearest pub, The Shepherd and Dog in Hollesley, sells food with a take away option if you want to take it back to the cottage - you can walk there (around 1 mile). The Swan in Alderton (around 2.5 miles away) serves authentic Indian food either in house or to take away. The Sorrell Horse Inn is a delightful pub, just 15 minutes drive away in the pretty village of Shottisham, serving real cask ales, simple fresh food and a very warm welcome (wi-fi available).
The market town of Woodbridge has an abundance of pubs and restaurant to suit all tastes and is only 20 minutes by car. The Anchor has an interesting menu. There are also two fine Indian restaurants, Prezzo, and a popular Chinese restaurant all within easy walking distance of the Quay Point car park.
Self-Catering: Grocery deliveries are available from the major supermarkets. Alderton is a five minute drive away and has a lovely little village shop selling all your essential provisions plus freshly grown local fruit and veg. There are plenty of farm shops selling locally sourced produce, scattered across the Suffolk countryside: Five Winds Butchers at Melton is excellent, supplied from a local farm, and Woodbridge has two high street supermarkets as well as independent grocery stores and award winning bakers. Please be aware no fuel is supplied for the fire.
- Door to courtyard and terrace. The old washroom at the end of the courtyard is used once a month for a local prayer meeting, and at Christmas for a carol service. Guests are welcome to join either of these, should they be occurring during their stay.
- Door to cottage and lobby with coat hooks and space for boots etc
- Bathroom with bath and shower, washbasin and w.c., quarry tiled floor and wall heater
- Kitchen with electric cooker, fridge with small freezer, washing machine, wood-burning stove, microwave, toaster and dining area, with telephone.
- Sitting room with TV, \small Stereo, pen fire, 3 seater sofa and armchair, bookcases with wide selection of books, tables, lamps, views over shingle towards the sea
- Double bedroom with double bed, bedside tables, chest of drawers, table and chair, sea views
- Twin bedded room with chest of drawers, stool, wash hand basin, electric heater, and views across the pastures
- Night storage heaters, please purchase own logs/coal for the fire
- Bed linen and towels provided, but please bring your own beach towels
- Guests are asked to consider other holidaymakers and not smoke in the cottage
- No Wifi. A telephone for emergencies and incoming calls
- A walled courtyard with table and bench
- N.B. the beach at Shingle Street slopes steeply and it is dangerous for swimming, therefore unsuitable for unaccompanied children
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 double bed
- 2 single beds
- Washing machine
- Towels provided
- Family friendly
- Garden or courtyard
- Private parking
How far to ...?
- Pub 1.9 miles
- Shop 4.3 miles
- Open fire or woodburner
- Tennis court
- Sea or coastal views
- Ground floor bath/shower room
Important - please note
- Check in: 4:00pm
- Check out: 9:00am
To give our cleaners enough time to complete the additional cleaning and sanitising that is currently needed to keep our guests safe, check-in and check-out times at the majority of our properties have been temporarily revised. The revised times for this property are reflected above.
This is a lovely cottage at a unique beach location. There is peace and tranquility, and birdsong everywhere. We had some beautiful walks along the coast, which was for the most part were deserted. A wonderful week to contemplate and recharge the batteries.