Things to See & Do on the Shotley Peninsula, Suffolk
Published: Wednesday 04th Jun 2014
Written by: Alex Smith
Part of the Suffolk Coast & Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, this tranquil rural area lies off most visitors' radars but offers huge scope for outdoor activities, especially walking, cycling and sailing, and for relaxing in cosy, nautically decorated pubs.
Venture to the tip of the Shotley Peninsula and you can also enjoy dramatic views of ocean-bound traffic from two of the world's busiest ports, Felixstowe and Harwich, ranging from cargo ships and ferries to sailing boats.
We've listed our favourite things to do in this fascinating part of the country.
- Discover the hamlet of Pin Mill, inspiration for Arthur Ransome of Swallows and Amazons fame, on a riverside walk.
- Enjoy all or part of the 67km Stour and Orwell coastal walk looping around the peninsula and along the north bank of the Orwell. This walk takes in two of East Anglia's most beautiful estuaries which are both teeming with wildlife.
- Go sailing or windsurfing at Alton Water. This reservoir is also a good spot for birdwatching, walking and cycling, with bike (and go-kart) hire available – and each June you can also join in the Great Eastern Swim in its waters.
- Take a Shotley Peninsula Tour and find out why Anne Boleyn left her heart in Erwarton and why George Orwell took his name from the river.
- Amble around Shotley Marina at the confluence of the Orwell and Stour, discover its HMS Ganges Museum with its shipping memorabilia and displays on local life, and refuel at The Shipwreck Pub & Restaurant with its large patio and lawn.
- Take a cookery course (including family sessions) at the Suffolk Food Hall at Freston, eat in its award-winning restaurant, or simply shop here for the ingredients for your dinner – there's a bakery, fishmonger's counter, deli, wine & beer merchant, greengrocer, grocery and chocolatier, all under one rustic roof.
Self-Catering Cottages in Pin Mill / Shotley Peninsula area
Suffolk Secrets offer lots of lovely self-catering cottages in the Shotley Peninsula area:-
- Lodge Farm in Freston offers accommodation for parties of 2, 4, 6 or 12 people, all set within a peaceful rural location close to the Suffolk Food Hall.
- Lake Farm Barn in Holbrook is a stunning barn conversion offering a high standard of self-catering accommodation for up to 6. This stunning Suffolk holiday cottage offers wonderful views across a small lake within the extensive 16 acre grounds.
- Valley Cottage in Pin Mill is a beautifully presented, pet friendly, holiday cottage that sleeps 6.
- Elm Cottage in Chelmondiston is conveniently located for discovering many beautiful walks that start at the picturesque riverside hamlet of Pin Mill. This cosy pet-friendly cottage sleeps 6 people and is less than a mile away from Pin Mill.
- The Lookout in Sutton is located in a peaceful, rural location, close to Alton Water.
If you require further information on searching for a Suffolk holiday cottage in the Shotley Peninsula area please do not hesitate to contact our friendly team on tel: 01502 722717.