Suffolk Walks - Woodbridge and the River Deben
Click here to return to our Suffolk Walks and Trails page.
Woodbridge and the River Deben Walk
This walk is approximately 1.5 miles long and is a wonderful way for all of our Woodbridge guests to discover the riverside area. Remember to wear clothing which is appropriate for the weather including sturdy walking boots. Don’t forget to bring your waterproofs!
- Start at the car park in The Avenue. Cross the railway line by the pedestrian gates and go through the Boatyard. From the river wall there are views of the Tide Mill and across the Deben to Sutton Hoo (the site of a Anglo Saxon ship burial unearthed in the 1930’s).
- Along the river wall toward Kyson Hill (past the Deben Yacht Club) you will find benches which provide the perfect opportunity to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the river and to watch the world go by.
- Looking over the river and water meadows there are a wide variety of common plants to be seen. Poppies, hawkbits and reeds can be found on the banks. In the summer, the river is alive with boats bobbing at their moorings but at low tide during the winter the river changes its character completely to an expanse of mudflats, which is a happy feeding ground for gulls, ducks and many different waders.
- At Kyson Hill (National Trust) turn right down a small slope and walk along a path lined with willow, oak, sycamore and elder. A short excursion to Kyson Point is possible from here.
- If you go quietly there may be a chance to spot the water rats in the dyke by the path – listen for the reeds rustling and the faint splash as they disappear into the water.
- Pass under a canopy of oaks and a little further along this winder track there is a plantation of fir trees behind a hawthorn hedge. Look out for the unusual sight of brambles climbing live fir trees and the contorted shapes of the willows bent over the stream.
- Opposite is a reminder of the devastating gales of 1987. A line of willows lie uprooted in the meadows.
- The path takes you to the left back up to the railway line where there are two stiles to cross. The main gates may be used but please remember to shut them behind you.
- After the railway you will be on another sand and grass track. At Kingston Farm turn right and take the footpath which runs just inside the playing fields back to The Avenue and the start.
Tranmer House, Woodbridge IP12 3DJ
Tel: 01394 389700
Estate walks: open daily, all year round from 9:00am to 6:00pm except some Thursdays in November and December. Call for further information.
Sutton Hoo: Open daily from 10.30-5pm, 1st April - 30 September 2014. Open weekends during March, October, November and December - call for opening hours. Closed on public holidays.
Woodbridge Tide Mill
Tide Mill Way, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 1BY
Tel: 01394 385295
Opening times/dates: open daily from 5th April - 31st October, 11am-4.30pm
Self-catering cottages in Woodbridge
Click here to view a range of VisitEngland inspected and graded Woodbridge cottages.