- £448 per week
- £64 per night
- 2 Guests
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- 2 Pets
Rowing down the river or coarse fishing on the bank - both activities are available at Akenfield Cottage, Letheringham. Sitting on the bank of the river Deben, close to the Suffolk coast, Akenfield enjoys three quarters of an acre of beautifully landscaped terraced gardens leading down to a private inlet and your own rowing boat. The setting for the film 'Akenfield', based on Ronald Blythe's book 'A Portrait of an English (Suffolk) Village', this truly is an unspoilt location for a self catering holiday. Suffice to say, you would certainly be pushed to find a more relaxing situation.
WOODBRIDGE 9.5 miles, FRAMLINGHAM 4.5 miles, SNAPE 11 miles, ALDEBURGH 15 miles, ORFORD 13 miles, LAVENHAM 29 miles
Akenfield Cottage has been available for holiday letting since 2013, and we are proud to say that guests are unanimous in their praise for this delightful property; "Beyond our wildest dreams" is a frequent comment.
This beautiful, contemporary home, constructed in oak and glass, provides a generous, bright living space. Featuring views of the country cottage garden to the south and over landscaped lawns down to the meandering river Deben to the East, the narrow stretch of the river is alive with wildlife and plants. Coarse fishing is permitted from the inlet area and the owners are even happy to lend visitors a rod. Otters, perch, and tench all frequent the river, and whilst kingfisher sweep through the trees by day, owls can be heard and sometimes seen hunting at night. Visitors may also catch glimpses of Brown Hare and small herds of deer in the adjacent field.
The sitting area centres around a Swedish style wood burning stove, ensuring that the cottage is warm and homely in all seasons with plenty of room to relax. If you ever tire of the stunning views there is an HD LED TV/DVD/Radio combi with Freeview, radio and an iPod dock to keep you entertained. The kitchen is well equipped so you can enjoy dining at home, with a breakfast bar for informal meals and dining table for candlelit suppers. The bedroom is spacious with luxurious carpeting, plenty of storage and TV for a lazy start to your day. The shower room is designed with easy access to a wet room style shower, with an external boiler providing hot water on demand.
*Returning guests are offered a 10% discount of their next stay at Akenfield Cottage if they re-book 30 days after departure. Please call 01394 389189 to redeem*
- All accommodation is on the ground floor.
- Front door leads into a tiled lobby with coat stand, shoe rack and access to the bedroom, shower room and open plan living area.
- The bedroom is spacious with a king sized bed, wardrobe, drawer unit, TV showing Freeview, cheval mirror, armchair and bedside tables with lamps and hair dryer. The room is carpeted and has views to the east over the garden.
- The shower room is fully tiled with stylish fittings including basin, wc, glass shelving, mirror and wet room style shower, with instant hot water.
- The open plan living area includes a modern fitted kitchen with storage cupboards, a slimline gas oven with grill and hob, fridge with freezer compartment, washing machine, microwave and a dining bar with stools. For more formal dining, there is an oak dining table and 4 chairs. The sitting area includes two 2-seater sofas, a classic 'poang' chair, coffee table, iPod dock, Swedish wood burning stove and a corner unit with freeview TV DVD/TV/radio combi - CDs can be played through the DVD on the TV. The west facing wall is entirely glass including french doors onto an outside sitting area.
- The property is accessed via a private shingle driveway, which is gated, with space for one car.
- Beyond the gate is a path to the front of the property and shingled sitting area where guests are welcome to use the charcoal barbecue. The landscaped gardens extend all around the property, the front garden being laid to lawn with flower borders. The rear garden rolls gently down to the river and small wooden deck area, complete with rowing boat for guests to use (at their own risk). There are also seats to view the river and fish if desired.
- Seating in the garden includes: Wooden armchairs, sleeper bench by river, steamer chairs and coffee table, resin table and chairs, patio table and chairs and two wooden benches.
- There is a lockable storage facility for bicycles.
- The property is newly constructed and very well insulated. There is a log burning stove in the living room and an initial supply of logs is provided. There is an oil filled electric radiator in the bedroom and heated towel rail in the bathroom.
- Bed linen and towels are included. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- Towels, dog bowls, poo bags and treats are all provided for dogs.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the property.
- An unlimited broadband/wifi service is provided. We are located in a rural location and the level of broadband service can fluctuate from time to time.
- Hot water on demand supplied by an external boiler. Water softening treatment.
- There is a charcoal barbecue available. There is also an iron and ironing board and hairdryer.
Please note: A travel cot is available for small babies although the property is not really suitable for crawling babies or toddlers.
Looking for a 2 stay? Akenfield Cottage has reduced pricing for bookings lasting two nights out of peak season, making it the perfect option for a weekend away in the country.
This property is ideal for: A romantic weekend, or longer, for two plus two dogs. The surrounding countryside is stunning with narrow lanes weaving through open farmland; this is classic rural Suffolk. Walking or cycling are great ways to explore the picturesque local villages of Easton, Wickham Market and Kettleburgh.
The neighbouring estate of Easton Farm Park was built in the late 1800s and has retained the original, now listed, farm buildings. There are 'Green Trails' across the water meadows, home to kingfishers, otters, water voles and herons, though most of the activities are designed for families with younger children.
A little further afield are the market towns of Framlingham; with its impressive Castle, individual shops, tearooms and bistros, and Woodbridge, tucked away on the beautiful river Deben with one of the last working Tide Mills. The Thoroughfare and Market Hill are charming, unspoilt and full of historic buildings, galleries, boutiques and plenty of excellent restaurants.
The Suffolk Heritage Coast is only a short drive away with great coastal walks and towns to explore along the way from Orford and Aldeburgh to Dunwich and Southwold.
You may prefer to relax in the beautiful landscaped gardens of Akenfield Cottage and gently paddle up stream in the rowing boat moored at your own private jetty. In July each year, the river can attract a build up of duck weed, particularly if we have a long hot dry spell, and the river may have some fallen branches which need to be negotiated when rowing up and down stream. The river can be navigated upstream as far as Abbey Farm Bridge (about 1/4 of a mile) and downstream as far as Letheringham Mill. This alluring and tranquil location will inspire poets, writers and artists. You will be truly surrounded by wildlife, with frequent sightings of Kingfishers and Otters, Red Kite and Buzzards - a great way to see some of the gems of Suffolk.
For sport and leisure, there is a championship golf course in Ufford, Suffolk Golf Club with spa and bar facilities and at Cretingham, a 18 hole golf course, pool and tennis courts, where daily and weekly membership is available. Seckford Hall also has swimming, golf and spa and is set in 34 acres of stunning parkland, great for lunches or formal suppers too.
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- Washing machine
- 1 bathroom
- Towels provided
- Wet room
- Travel cot
- Private parking
How far to ...?
- Pub 1.2 miles
- Shop 3 miles
- Open fire or woodburner
- On one level, no stairs
- Ground floor bedroom
- Ground floor bath/shower room
- Wet room
Superb property, the location, standard of accommodation was excellent
What a great find Akenfield Cottage has proved to be. A spotlessly clean, light and airy cottage with lots of space and a beautiful garden. Thank you for your friendly hos[pitality, we've had a lovely week. Keith and Elaine. T
Thank you for making us so welcome. The cottage is absolutely lovely. We have been very comfy. This is ur first visit to the area and we a great time. The cottage is perfectly positioned to go out for days without travelling far. As for your lovely garden we are going home inspired.
A lovely week in a beautiful cottage and amazing garden. The Kingfisher on the river was a treat. Lots of lovely dog walks, can recommend the footpath to Cove hive beach which dogs are allowed on. Very quiet sandy beach just up from Southwold. Thank you for such a well equipped dog friendly cottage.
Lovely cottage and exceptional gardens and grounds. Great location for Suffolk and surrounding areas. Very helpful neighbour and housekeeper.
Lovely cottage, beautiful gardens, great weather equals fab holiday. Thanks, see you again.
A great week. We have spent a lot of time in the lower garden watching the Kingfisher's comings and goings. We sat away from the decking as the nest is under the bank below the decking. The cottage is superber, everything well thought out. A trip to the Indian in Wickham Market was a bonus. Excellent service and the food was subtle with loads of flavour, better than a fine dining establishment in Cambridge.
We really did strike it lucky in finding this gorgeous holiday home in a search. Although weather could have been a bit better we had a lovely week with the cherry on the top seeing the Kingfisher. Thank you Ruth & David.
A wonderful and peaceful break. We love the peace and quiet, watching the Hares in the next field along, with a fleeting glance of Deer, the Kingfisher but alas no Otter. Thank you for your hospitality. P.s great sighting if a Barn Owl hunting!
What Tranquil find, we have both been extremely relaxed. Your garden is wonderful. The cottage has everything ones needs all the home comforts! The Suffolk Countryside seems to go on and on, loved the Villages and Towns, not the roads! Archie loved the garden.
Thank you for a lovely week in your beautiful cottage. Lots of long walks in the wonderful Suffolk Countryside.
Fantastic property, location and owners
Well equipped cottage, lovely outlook , warm and comfortable interior. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Had a lovely week in Akenfield Cottage. The cottage is bright and very well equipped and it is lovely and warm and has a lovely outlook from both sides of the main room. The weather was very windy during some of our week but we were warm and cosy indoors and relaxed as we enjoyed playing the board games and reading. Went out on the best days and really enjoyed visiting Flatford Mill and looking around some of the very pretty Suffolk villages.
Beautiful location and lovely cosy property with gorgeous garden and views. The rowing boats added a little fun and the provision of quality garden furniture and deck by the river was ideal for sitting in the early evening shade with a glass of wine as well as lounging in the sun. If you love nature it’s easy to absorb all that it offers here
We have booked for the next year 2019 so think that will say it all , thank you for a lovely holiday
Booked for September 2019 already, I think this says it all. Do try Fridays farm shop just off the A12 on the road to Aldeburgh, very good. Also recommend the Fish n Chips in Aldeburgh. Many thanks for a lovely holiday.
Very relaxing, Lovely gardens, so peaceful. White Horse 20mins walk away served lovely fish. Thanks you both, perfect place.
Lovely cottage and surroundings in such a peaceful spot. Overjoyed at seeing Hares in the adjacent field. Thank you for being so welcoming.
Very comfortable cottage with a lovely garden and helpful friendly owners next door. Thoroughly recommended.
Another comfortable stay in Akenfield Cottage. Letheringham is such a beautiful area of Suffolk, we just love it here. Thank you David & Ruth
Lovely comfortable cottage - stunning garden despite the drought. Loved the river, saw Kingfisher & Jays and caught a few minuscule fish. Enjoyed tomatoes and Cucumber from the greenhouse, thanks. Great cycling country, even for us as occasional cyclists. Lovely meal at the Unruly Pig in Bromeswell and the Butley Oysterage in Orford on the coast. Also a nice sandwich lunch at the Crown in Great Glemham, easy cycling distance. Many thanks to David & Ruth for a relaxing holiday & to Molly of course.
Our 2nd time staying at Akenfield cottage, still as lovely and peaceful as ever!
Nothing much changes here, we holidayed here same week last year. Still brilliant, still peaceful, still everything we loved the last time. Had a great week, weather was amazing,. Loved the tomatoes!