Festivals, Fairs & Fun in Suffolk
Published: Wednesday 7th Feb 2018
Written by: Aimee Anderson
Suffolk is well-known as a relaxing holiday destination. Long walks in the countryside, leisurely lunches at the local pub... But there is also a more lively side to the county! If you're looking for excitement and adventure this year then take a look at our guide of the festivals, fairs and fun events that are on in Suffolk this year.
If you love music then you'll already know that there are a number of fantastic music festivals. Here are some of our favourites:
- Latitude Festival is probably the most celebrated festival in Suffolk. Held at Henham park, near Southwold, from 12th-15th July 2018, it was the winner of the Best Major Festival award in 2017 and has an amazing line up of not just music, but also theatre, dance, film, cabaraet and literature! It is now in its 12th year since it was started and has grown from strength to strength attracting famous musicians including Jessie Ware, The Vaccines and The Killers for the 2018 line up. A family-friendly festival this year it includes a childrens area and enchanted garden as well as spa treatments and lake swimming for that want a break from all the excitement!
- LeeStock festival is held at Melford Hall in Long Melford. It was started in 2007 by a group of friends to help remember their friend Lee Dunford who sadly passed away at the young age of 17. This year it is being held over the May bank holiday weekend and is raising money for a very worthy charity the Willow Foundation. The line up includes well-known rock bands including Feeder and Reef!
- Maverick Festival at Easton Farm Park is a specialist Americana music festival which has grown in popularity since it was established in 2008. The ideal festival for those that want to try something different and perfect for families. Taking place from 6th - 8th July 2018.
- FolkEast is a specialist Folk music festival held at Glemham Hall on 17th - 19th August 2018. A quirky, family-friendly festival which has received great praise from the national press, but still maintains its original values and a welcoming feel.
Food and Drink
Suffolk is known as the 'Foodie County' and for a very good reason! There are several excellent food and drink festivals, take a look at some of our favourites listed below:
- The Taste of Sudbury is a fantastic annual food and drink event, held in the centre of this Suffolk market town on Sunday 10th June 2018. Its aim is to celebrate the very best local producers, restaurants, chefs and food industries. There are over sixty stalls lined up for 2018 which will fill the Market Hill and St Peter’s Church, as well as a variety of demonstrations by acclaimed local chefs throughout the day.
- Bury St Edmunds Food & Drink Festival was started in 2013 and has grown in popularity ever since. The festival is due to be held over the August bank holiday weekend in 2018 and will include food and drink stalls from local producers, cookery demonstrations from local and celebrity chefs, as well as a whole host of family friendly activities including a mini farm, punch & judy show, street entertainment and an artificial beach! Fingers crossed for sunshine!
- The sleepy village of Cretingham, near to Framlingham, is to hold its first Beer & Cider Festival at Cretingham Golf and Country Lodges. The golf club has recently been purchased by new owners who have upgraded the club house and the country lodges. The festival is an opportunity to sample an excellent selection of local Ales, Ciders, Music, Food and Entertainment! From Friday 27th April - Sunday 29th April.
There are so many different and exciting events throughout the county. Here are a some of our favourites, including some alternative festivals:
- For something a bit different then you should try the Weird and Wonderful Wood festival. A specialized art and craft event specialising solely in wood! A family-friendly event held at Haughley Park, near Stowmarket, from Saturday 19th - Sunday 20th May 2018.
- The Woodbridge Regatta and Riverside Fair is going to be held on Sunday 17th June 2018. A wonderful local event that takes place along the banks of the river Deben and is now in its 180th year! With plenty of fun games and events for everyone including crabbing and a duck race, there will also be stalls stretched along the river wall all the way up to the Tide Mill. A 'must' event for locals and tourists alike in the area.