Five top tips for a budget cottage holiday in Suffolk
Published: Friday 28th Apr 2017
Written by: Sally Owen.
Let’s face it, a family holiday during the school holidays can be an expensive exercise, whether you’re going abroad or staying in the UK. But it doesn’t have to be if you’re a savvy holidaymaker.
Here at Suffolk Secrets we have holiday cottages to suit all budgets with many family-friendly cottages being available for less than £150 per person during the peak summer weeks. For example, Secret Garden in Wenhaston is a charming rural cottage just a short drive from the Suffolk Coast, sleeps four and is just £555 per week – that’s the equivalent of £138.75 per person. Or Tinkers Cottage in Dunwich – this pet-friendly character cottage on the coast with ample space and delightful garden sleeps five and is available during the summer months for £725 a week, that’s just £145 per person.
Of course, it’s not just about the money you spend on your accommodation, there’s food, drink and activities to consider. That’s why we’ve compiled our five top tips for being budget savvy when planning your Suffolk cottage holiday. Here goes…
1. When searching for your perfect holiday cottage, extend your search to areas outside the most popular locations. Say for example you’d like to go to Southwold. Extend your search just a mile or two and you’ll find a great selection of holiday cottages in the pretty village of Reydon, where you’ll get more for your money. Take a look at Teal Cottage for example – a bright modern home with a real coastal theme. Why not look at Suffolk Countryside properties too. You’ll find a goldmine of pretty holiday cottages perfect for your family holiday that will also encourage you to explore even more of our wonderful county.
2. Keep an eye on our special offers page. These might be late availability deals or offers due to cancellation, but you can catch yourself a real bargain cottage holiday here.
3. Look at properties that accommodate more people than are in your party. Some of our holiday cottages offer ‘Small Group Discount’ (this will be labelled on the main image on the search page. This means that bigger holiday homes will take smaller parties for a lower price than is stated on the search page. This option gets you a bigger property for your money.
4. Pack your picnic stuff. Eating out each day can be costly, and who doesn’t love a good picnic anyway? Don’t forget to bring your cool bag, cling film, flask and Tupperware with you to keep your days out low cost, and experience the Suffolk air to the max. (A few holiday cottages do provide this, but it’s always best to be prepared.)
5. Make sure that once you’ve booked your cottage with Suffolk Secrets that you take some time to log into the Holidaymaker section of our website. Here you’ll be able to print and download a collection of discount vouchers that we have negotiated with our local partners. Save money at local restaurants, enjoy discounts on family activities like Congo Rapids Adventure Golf or admission to RSPB Minsmere, order local groceries for delivery to your cottage online from Melons of Halesworth and save 10%, the list goes on…
We hope you’ve found our tips useful. Why not start searching for your perfect holiday cottage right now?
Pirctured: Teal Cottage, Reydon