Within just a few miles of Aldeburgh and the Suffolk coast. A delightful and well equipped self-catering holiday property ideal for couples, with the fun of having your own hot tub.
SNAPE 2.5 miles (4 km), ALDEBURGH 5 miles (8.5 km), THORPENESS 6.5 miles (10.5 km)
Style: A superb single-storey barn conversion. Completed in 2010, the conversion makes full use of the lovely beams and studwork of the original stables.
Setting: A beautifully converted traditional Suffolk barn in the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guests can enjoy their own patio area with hot tub, table and chairs. A large garden and grounds are shared with two other cottages, as well as a games room. The cottage is also close to the coast, which can be reached half a mile up a private track.
Grounds: A pleasant paved terrace complete with lovely hot tub, garden table and chairs can be reached through French windows from the sitting room. Beyond is a lawned garden (shared with Christmas Cottage and Reindeer Cottage). The three barns share use of a large games room and open lawned play area - great for ball games. The properties are on a working farm (arable and forestry) so care should be taken with children, who should not be allowed near farm machinery, and there are reindeer in stables near the property. Plenty of parking.
All accommodation is on the ground floor.
- A slope with hand rail leads to the front door
- Entrance hall with brick floor leads to the living room
- The living room is open plan with dining table and four chairs, sofa and log burning stove, TV and DVD
- There is a kitchen area with electric cooker with double oven and ceramic hob, fridge with freezer compartment, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave and toaster, stainless steel sink and drainer
- French doors from the sitting room lead to the terrace
- The bathroom is adapted for wheelchair access and includes a wet room shower with chair and hand rails, a bath, w.c. with rail to help wheelchair users, wash basin
- The ground floor bedroom has two full sized single Hypnos beds (These can be zipped together to create a Super King by request, at the time of booking), bedside cabinet with light, wardrobe with full length hanging space and drawers, chair
- A limited broadband / wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
- French doors open from the sitting room directly on to a paved terrace with hot tub, garden table and chairs, and parasol
- There is a large communal garden beyond, mainly laid to lawn with mature trees and shrubs
- Stable Cottage is one of three converted barns (Christmas Cottage and Reindeer Cottage) at Red House Barns. They share use of a large games room, with accessibility for wheelchair users
- For those with disabled passengers, cars may stop directly outside the cottage, with car parking just a few metres from the cottage
- Own outdoor hot tub
- Outside the games room is a covered area with storage room for bikes, boots and outdoor wear
- There is a large shower room with corner shower, w.c. (with adaptation for the disabled and wheel chair users) and wash basin
- Tumble dryer and travel cot
- The games room itself includes table tennis table and table football
- There is a table seating at least ten people which can be used by those booking the three cottages (Stable Cottage, Reindeer Cottage and Christmas Cottage) together (sleeps 10
Ideal for: An outdoor loving couple, walkers, music lovers (Snape Maltings Concert Hall, home of the Snape Proms and the Aldeburgh Festival, is just a few miles from the cottage). Stable Cottage can be booked in combination with Christmas Cottage and/or Reindeer Cottage, which together provide self-catering accommodation for up to 10 people (plus babies). A great choice for a multi-generational family - everyone has the benefit of their own front door whilst sharing communal space. There is a dining table seating 10 in the games room for when the whole family want to eat together.
Eating and Drinking: Family groups taking all three properties - Stable Cottage, Christmas Cottage and Reindeer Cottage (collectively known as Red House Barns) - can enjoy family meals in the large games room (centrally heated), where there is a dining table and seating for 10+.
Close to Aldeburgh, Snape and Orford there are excellent restaurants and pubs. Aldeburgh boasts The Lighthouse, Regatta, the Brudenell, White Lion, and the Wentworth - all of which have an excellent menu. The fish and chip shops - both owned by the same people - are world famous, although there tend to be healthy queues in summer. There are also several good pubs in Aldeburgh as well as shops selling Suffolk's excellent range of local produce - look out for fresh fish from the fishermen's huts on the beach. Saxmundham (just a couple of miles from the cottage) has a Waitrose which now does home deliveries.
Snape Maltings Concert Hall (home of Aldeburgh Productions and a venue for concerts throughout the year) has its own pre-concert restaurant. The village has three excellent pubs; The Golden Key, The Crown Inn and The Plough and Sail, all of which serve really good food.
Children: If visiting as a family, children will love the Red House Barns complex. There is a great games room with table tennis table and table top football, and outside there is plenty of space for ball games. The owners of the farm grow Christmas trees. Just ten minutes drive from the beaches at Aldeburgh and Thorpeness, no holiday will be complete without a row or paddle on the 65 acre Meare (shallow lake).
Packing tips: Beachwear and walking boots, bicycles (dry storage beside the games room). Bring your binoculars - this is a great area for birdwatching with the RSPB Minsmere nature reserve just a 20 minute drive away.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- Private parking
- 2 Single zip & link beds
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bath towels included
- Bed linen included
- Equipped with a dishwasher
- Equipped with a tumble dryer
- Equipped with a washing machine
- All on one level
Property was stunning, pictures didn’t do it justice to how lovely and peaceful it was!Mr Jack Stroud - 4th April 2018
Beautifully designed, very comfortable, and well located for visiting the Suffolk coast. We love the hot tub! It was pretty much perfect.Val R, London - 22nd July 2016
Thank you very much for a lovely stay, far from the city smog. Lovely hearing the wind in trees and walking through hayfields in the evening. Warm, cosy and clean - wish we could stay on!P. Jeffrey - 29th August 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tri...
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Nick Catling Photography 10% Discount on Beach Photography Workshop
Capture beautiful images on film to help keep the memories of your Suffolk cottage holiday alive with this full day photography workshop with Nick Catling.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Aldeburgh Yacht Club 2 Hour Sailing Experience at Aldeburgh Yacht Club
Take to the water with and RYA instructor at Aldeburgh Yacht Club for a private sailing lesson.
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.