A spacious south facing detached family friendly house in a quiet location, with enclosed garden and ample parking, only 5 minutes walk from Aldeburgh High Street and the Beach.
SNAPE 5 miles (8 km), ORFORD 12 miles (17 km), WOODBRIDGE 20 miles (33 km), SOUTHWOLD 24 miles (39 km)
About the Property: Fern Court Lodge is a secluded detached family house ideally situated in a quiet, no-through, un-adopted lane, around 5 minutes walk from Aldeburgh High Street. The house is a pleasant mix of traditional and contemporary with a newly fitted galley-style kitchen, delightfully renovated dining room and contemporary bathrooms. The sitting room and dining room overlook the intimate lawned garden and, being south-facing, enjoy a very sunny aspect. A gas log-effect fire provides complementary heating to the already efficient central heating.
An attractive feature to Fern Court Lodge is the ground floor master bedroom which has French doors opening on to the driveway and an en-suite bathroom fitted with both a shower and a bath. Lots of games and toys for all ages including puzzles and old fashioned family games, plastic toys and even a train set for toddlers.
About the location: Aldeburgh is one of those special seaside towns visited by the enlightened, time and time again. Writers, artists, composers, musicians, actors and those who hanker for the simple pleasures of holidays of their youth return to Aldeburgh year after year. In recent times a number of smart boutique clothes shops have established themselves and excellent local produce and organic food is now readily available.The boating lake is still a draw for even the most sophisticated youngster and you can still stroll down to Slaughden for sailing or a boat trip on the Alde.
And whilst very popular the town is only really crowded during the Carnival in mid August. But don't worry, if you want to be alone simply wander along the beach or across the water meadows towards Thorpeness or Brickdock. For those staying at Fern Court Lodge, the tennis courts, now floodlit in the evenings, are just a couple of minutes walk away so do take your tennis rackets.
Eating out: Extremely good restaurants produce mouth watering menus which are likely to attract you back time and again. We like The Lighthouse and Regatta. There are also excellent restaurants at The Brudenell, The White Lion and The Wentworth hotels. Of course, you cannot mention Aldeburgh without alluding to fish and chips! The town has, arguably, the two best fish and chip shops in East Anglia if not the UK!
- Front door opens to a hallway with doors on the right leading to the dining room, the kitchen and a small cloakroom. Stairs lead to the first floor. To the left is a door to the sitting room. Further along the hall is a small office space where wifi is available. A door and one small step down leads to the ground floor master bedroom.
- The sitting room is spacious with a sofa and armchairs to the left and to the right another sofa, armchair and the gas log-effect fire. The room is dominated by large windows and french doors which open on to the garden. Light floods into the room and on sunny days with the french doors open it is a glorious place in which to relax.
- The dining room is also south-facing and is accessed from both the hall and the kitchen. A dining table and 8 chairs are the central feature of the room. Doors open to the small utility room where there is a washing machine and tumble dryer. A door leads to the outside. Another door leads to a large pantry in which there is shelving for foodstuffs and a free-standing fridge-freezer.
- The kitchen has an electric oven and a gas hob. The sink overlooks the pleasant front garden and drive. There is a dishwasher and microwave. Do note that the kitchen is not overly big and when cooking the extractor fan over the hob needs to be switched on to avoid setting off the mains connected smoke alarm.
- In the hallway there is a small desk where one can use the wifi.
- At the east end of the hallway a door leads to the ground floor master bedroom which has a king-sized (5'5") double bed with bedside tables and lights. French doors facing west open on to the front garden and drive. On the other side of the bedroom is the en-suite, which has a bath and a separate shower.
- The stairs lead to one king-sized double bedroom, one twin and a single bedroom.
- There are two family bathrooms at either end of the landing. One with a separate shower, wash hand basin and w.c., the other with bath, hand-held shower, wash hand basin and w.c. There is a hairdryer.
- Small sunny garden, fenced all round, mainly lawn with flower beds. Good garden furniture: big table, bench, 2 armchairs - additional fold-up chairs may be brought from dining room in dry weather. Small charcoal BBQ - please bring own supplies
- Fern Court Lodge has gas central heating and a gas log effect stove (please note that the doors to the stove do not open)
- There is a land line telephone for those whose mobile network is precarious in Aldeburgh. Please put payments in the honesty box provided.
- Please note that a gardener from time to time to cut the grass.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in Fern Court Lodge.
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Nearest Pubs: Ye Olde Cross Keys - tel. 01728 452637
- The Mill Inn - tel. 01728 452563. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- There is a travel cot and high chair at the property. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it. There is also a pushchair and fire-guard.
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
- Sleeps 7
- 4 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- 2 Pets allowed
- Private parking
- 3 Single beds
- 2 King size/super king size beds
- WiFi available
- Equipped with a highchair
- Travel cot available
- Bath towels included
- Bed linen included
- Equipped with a dishwasher
- Equipped with a tumble dryer
- Equipped with a washing machine
It was perfect for us: a young family (our daughter, husband and their children) upstairs, my husband and me in the granny annexe; the garden for the boys to play ball in, the dining room for meals, room to have friends over for a drink.Mrs Christina Darell-Brown - 14th August 2017
We were delighted with our stay at Fern Court Lodge - something for everyone. Â We will be back.Peter G, Cheltenham - 21st May 2015
We have had a lovely festive break in this beautiful cottage.Â Found everything we needed here.Â Can recommend the jigsaws in the desk in the lounge, 'Munchies' and Choppings Hill Bakery for coffee, and 'Magpie' bakery in Southwold for yummy cakes.The Hahn Family - 6th January 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tri...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Nick Catling Photography 10% Discount on Beach Photography Workshop
Capture beautiful images on film to help keep the memories of your Suffolk cottage holiday alive with this full day photography workshop with Nick Catling.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Aldeburgh Yacht Club 2 Hour Sailing Experience at Aldeburgh Yacht Club
Take to the water with and RYA instructor at Aldeburgh Yacht Club for a private sailing lesson.
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.