Suffolk Events 2014 - What's On
There's so many events, festivals and things to see and do in Suffolk during 2014. View our month by month Suffolk Events Guide below to discover what's on in Suffolk this year.
If you're looking for late-availability cottages click here or call our friendly team on tel: 01502 722717.
- Framlingham Castle TimeTravellers Trail, Saturday 15 - 23 February 2014.
A great family event where you can travel through time and solve the time travelling clues to win a prize!
- The 13th Aldeburgh Literary Festival, Friday 28 February - Sunday 2 March 2014.
- Woofbridge: The Bark in the Park, Elmhurst Park, Woodbridge, 29 March 2014, 10-4pm.
- Havergate's Hares, 5 - 7 April 2014, RSPB Havergate Island, Orford. Havergate is Suffolk's only island and is one of the best places in England to witness boxing hares.
- Suffolk Food and Drink Festival, Framlingham, 12 -13 April 2014.
- Wildlife Hunt, Ickworth House, 9 April 2014, Horringer near Bury St Edmunds.
Join the Suffolk Wildlife Trust at Ickworth House in Horringer near Bury St Edmunds to learn how to identify a number of different animal species by their footprints, feathers, fur and poo! National Trust Ickworth House is a beautiful Georgian Italianate palace set amongst acres of unspoilt parkland in the heart of the Suffolk countryside.
- Alde Valley Spring Festival, 19 April - 18 May 2014. A celebration of local produce farmed in the East Suffolk area.
- 8th Annual High Tide Festival 2014, Halesworth, Suffolk, 10 - 19 April 2014.
High Tide showcases premieres from the UK’s most promising playwrights.
- Top 6 Easter Egg Trails in Suffolk - an eggceptional choice of Easter Egg Hunts in Suffolk.
- Bluebell Walks late April/early May. Suffolk is a wonderful place to see glorious, carpets of bluebells. The first bluebell leaves appear in January and by late April/early May the plants are in full bloom. Some of the most stunning bluebell displays in Suffolk can be found at Reydon Woods near Southwold and Captains Wood in Sudbourne near Orford.
- Early May Bank Holiday Weekend, 3-5 May 2014.
- May Half Term top 10 family outings. There's lots of events happening over the May half term commencing Friday 23rd May 2014. Click here to see our Top 10 things to see and do in Suffolk over the half term.
- Spring Bank Holiday, 24-26 May
- May Day Festival at Kentwell Hall, 3 - 5 May 2014. Tudor inspired event with lots of merrymaking, pageantry, music and dancing. A family event where you can witness colourful processions of 100+ staff and volunteers in traditional Tudor costumes.
- Suffolk Walking Festival 2014, 10 May - 1 June 2014, various Suffolk locations.
Discover the great outdoors at the Suffolk Walking Festival which features over 50 guided walks throughout Suffolk. Choose from wildlife trails, walks along the Suffolk Coastal path, heritage trails visiting Suffolk's Wool Towns, and Foodies trails, visiting local producers and farmers markets.
- Leestock Music Festival, Melford Hall, Long Melford, CO10 9AA, 24 - 25 May 2014
- Flavours Of Suffolk Food & Drink Festival, Saturday 7 - 8 June 2014, Henham Park, Southwold.
Now in its 3rd year, this festival is a celebration of food & drink from across the region, with an exciting mix of food stalls, street food, cookery demos from the region’s leading chefs, children’s activities and entertainments.
Red Rooster Festival, 6-7th June 2014, Euston Hall, Euston near Thetford, Suffolk IP24 2QWIf you're a fan of Rhythm and Blues - the Red Rooster festival is for you! Set in the heart of the Suffolk countryside this fabulous festival will feature some fantastic R&B, Roots, Americana, Country and Blues musicians around.
- Westleton Garden Trail, 7 - 8 June 2014, 12noon - 5pm.
Westleton is a picturesque Suffolk village close to Blythburgh, Minsmere and Dunwich. The Garden Trail weekend offers visitors the opportunity to see some of the village's most beautiful private gardens. Cost £3.50 per person with all proceeds going to charity. Teas and cakes served in the village hall.
- Woodbridge Regatta & Riverside Fair, 15 June 2014, 12 noon.
The wonderful Woodbridge Regatta is a fantastic day out for the whole family featuring a whole host of riverside activities, entertainment, children’s rides, music and face painting.
- Aldeburgh Festival of Music and Arts, Friday 13 June - Sunday 29 June 2014.
The Aldeburgh Festival has been running since 1948 having been started by Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears.
- Summer Solstice at Sutton Hoo, 21 June 2014.
Visit Sutton Hoo near Woodbridge on the eve of the Summer Solstice to learn more about one of the greatest festivals of the pre-Christian calendar. Visit the incredible burial grounds of an Anglo Saxon King and find out more about one of the UK’s most significant archaeological discoveries in the award winning exhibition.
- Southwold Arts Festival 2014, 28 June - 5 July 2014
- Woodbridge Carnival, 5-6 July. Woodbridge Carnival day will be a fantastic day out for the whole family feauturing the traditional procession of brightly coloured floats, a celebration of the 2014 Carnival Queen and entertainment, rides, games and stalls on on Kingston Field carnival menus and entertainment. For more details click here.
- Maverick Festival, 4-6 July 2014, Easton Farm Park.
Maverick Festival is a celebration of Americana and roots music from both sides of the Atlantic. It features music, comedy, dance, film and workshops from over forty different artists, across five stages.
- Soul by The Sea in Aldeburgh, Saturday 5 July 2014, Aldeburgh seafront - outside Hotel White Lion.
After the huge success of 60s By the Sea, Aldeburgh is proud to host another free concert by the sea with a sixties theme. This charity event features live acts and bands, food and drink stalls and is a great night out.
- Theatre in the Forest @ Jimmy's Farm, 8 July - 24 August 2014. Jimmy's Farm, Pannington Hall Lane, Wherstead, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP9 2AR.
Red Rose Chain brings you The Comedy of Errors and Wuthering Heights to this year's fantastic Theatre in the Forest season.
- Latitude Festival, Thursday 17 - Sunday 20 July 2014, Henham Park Estate, Southwold.
- Gill Freud’s Southwold and Aldeburgh Summer Theatre, July, August, September 2014.
50 Things To Do @ Dunwich Heath, 23 July - 3 September 2014, 11-3. Dunwich, Saxmundham, Suffolk, IP17 3DJBreath in the invigorating coastal air and get the whole family down to Dunwich Heath to tick off their “50 Things to do before you are 11 ¾” National Trust list. Try den building, geocaching, fossil spotting, pond dipping and more then collect your stickers from the Dunwich Heath Visitor Centre!
- Barefoot Foraging at Foxburrow Farm, Saddlemakers Lane, Melton near Woodbridge, 25 July 2014, 10-2pm.
Discover the wonderful world right beneath your feet at this fantastic Suffolk Wildlife Trust farm. An activity day for 6-10 year olds. To book phone: 01394 380113.
Southwold Model Yacht Regatta "Pout Cup", 26 July 2014, 2pm. Come down to the Model Boat Pond and join in the fun with Southwold's first model yacht regatta of the summer season.
Jimmy's Farm Sausage and Beer Festival, 26-27 July 2014, Pannington Hall Lane, Wherstead, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP9 2AR
- Mrs Pretty's 1930s Garden Party, 26–27 July 2014, 1am-4pm. Sutton Hoo, Tranmer House, Woodbridge, IP12 3DJT
To celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the world famous Anglo-Saxon burial site, Sutton Hoo are inviting everyone to join them for Mrs Pretty's 1930's Garden Party. There will be entertainment, vintage cars, a spitfire flypast, craft stalls, children's activities and much more!
Myths & Legends at Framlingham Castle, 28 July-1 August 2014, 10-4, Church Street, Framlingham, Suffolk, IP13 9BPDiscover a myriad of legends based around the people that visited and lived at Framlingham Castle. Hear all about their tales and adventures and make up your own minds regarding what is fact and what is fiction! Discover rumours about witches being locked away in the castle or the secret hideout of Bloody Mary, and more.
- Hog the Hedge Family Activity Day, 29 July 2014, 2-4pm, Foxburrow Farm, Saddlemakers Lane, Melton near Woodbridge
Join the Suffolk Wildlife Trust for a prickly adventure and learn all about the humble hedgehog and its friends, foes and daily challenges. To book phone: 01394 380113.
- Snape Proms, 1-31 August 2014. Snape Maltings, Bridge Rd, Snape, Saxmundham, Suffolk IP17 1SR
If you love music, comedy, poetry and beautiful scenery, don't miss the 2014 Snape Proms season! From classical recitals by outstanding pianists such as Piotr Anderszewski and Jonathan Biss, to uplifting music from Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Peatbog Faeries, Django a la Creole and the BBC Big Band, there's a show to suit all tastes. This year's season also features the Snape Comedy Prom and sees the return of the Poetry Prom.
- Orford Picnic Jazz, Sunday 3 August 2014, Orford.
Knights and Princess Academy at Framlingham Castle, 4-8 August 2014, 10-4, Church Street, Framlingham, Suffolk, IP13 9BP
Ohhh... for all those budding Princesses and Knights out there, it's time to don your armour, get the chain-mail in check and polish your tiara! A fantastic dress-up day out for the whole family!
- Teddy Bears’ Picnic, 6 August 2014, 10:30-12:30pm. Foxburrow Farm, Saddlemakers Lane, Melton near Woodbridge
“If you go down to the woods today you’re sure of a big surprise.” Join the Suffolk Wildlife Trust in a fantastic day in the woods. Don’t forget to bring Teddy and a picnic lunch!
- FolkEast, Glemham Hall, 15 -17 August 2014.
- Aldeburgh Carnival 2014, Saturday 16 - Monday 18 August 2014
- Westleton Barrel Fair (20th anniversary), Sunday 17 August 2014.
Visit the picturesque village of Westleton during as it celebrates its 20th anniversary of the Barrel Fair.
- Bat Walk and Talk, 19 August 2014, Ickworth House, Horringer near Bury St Edmunds.
A fantastic summer holiday activity for children where they can discover the difference between the calls of a Pipestrelle bat and a Daubenton bat! Ickworth is one of the premier bat sites in the UK. Join the team to discover more about the habitats of bats and how to encourage populations Snape Proms, Aldeburgh Music (August)
- Anglo-Saxon Encampment: Warriors and Combat, 23-25 August 2014, 10:30am-5pm. Sutton Hoo, Tranmer House, Woodbridge, IP12 3DJ.
Come and try spear throwing, have a go archery, throwing Francisca axes or decorate a shield and join the shield wall. See if you can wiggle like a warrior in the unique Anglo-Saxon spear dance. Plus, authentic Anglo-Saxon arrow-fletching and combat demonstrations. and a picnic lunch! For more information phone: phone: 01394 380113.
- The Poetry Prom (part of Aldeburgh Music's prom season), Thursday 28 August 2014, Snape Maltings.
- Walk with a Fork, Sunday 31st August 2014, Helmingham Hall - fundraiser for Ormiston Families. Click here for further details.
September, October, November
- Maui Waui Festival, 6-7 September 2014, Peakhill Farm, Theberton, Suffolk, IP16 4TG
A fabulous weekend festival with live bands, circus/cabaret acts with highlights including a 1920’s band, DJ, jive-dancers, electro-swing bands and storytellers to entertain the children.
- Big Autumn Picnic, White House Farm, Great Glemham, Suffolk (2014 dates TBC).
Come and join a feast of local foods from East Suffolk on a 100m long oak dining table set in pastures at White House Farm at Great Glemham in the Upper Alde Valley of East Suffolk. The Big Autumn Picnic is being held as a Fringe Event of the 2013 Aldeburgh Food & Drink Festival in association with Transition Suffolk, Alde Valley Lamb and the Alde Valley Spring Festival. Come and join in ! BYO picnic of local foods sourced from within 30 miles of the farm ! Families and children welcome – come by bike, foot, car-share. We are a working sheep farm so no dogs please.
- Aldeburgh Food and Drink Festival, 27 - 28 September 2014, Snape Maltings.
- Flipside Festival, 3-5 October 2014, Snape Maltings.
"Carnaval" comes to the Suffolk Coast! Taking place at the iconic Snape Maltings, Flipside is a celebration of Brazilian Literature, Music and the Arts. In addition to the fabulous arts programme which includes children events, enjoy some delicious Brazilian street food, caipirinhas and feijoada!
- Westleton Heath Red Deer Rut, early October. Westleton Heath in Suffolk is one of the best places to witness the amazing red deer rut each October, where majestic red stags bellow and clash horns in a fierce mating battle.
- Woodbridge Shuck Festival, early October (2014 dates TBC)
- Southwold Way with Words Literature Festival, 6 - 10 November 2014
- Aldeburgh Poetry Festival, 7 - 9 November 2014, Snape Maltings and various venues in Aldeburgh.
- Aldeburgh Documentary Festival, 15 - 17 November 2014.
- Halesworth Arts Festival, 11 - 26 October 2014